Monday, April 12, 2010

Are Sellers Really Buyers

I chuckled at Matthew Ferrara's tongue in cheek "Ten Simple Phrases for Talking to Homeowners". But while I was amused by his mocking commentary it was dead on right for most sellers. They really are buyers!

By the time I get the call to list a home, most sellers have been identifying online, at open houses and by driving through neighborhoods what their next home will look like. Some of them spend so much time on this hobby that they know more about what is for sale and sold then I do (often these people want to become Realtors). Sometimes this data is erroneously gleaned from casual neighborly conversations that nudge the numbers a bit or the reality of the transaction or one of the many sites offering zestimates on values. Still they have a lot of information. So what does this all mean? They really are buyers, but think they are sellers.

Hence they call their favorite Realtor and I come in and assess the situation giving them the "real news" about what their home can be reasonably sold for. No mincing of data here, but few sellers believe it . . . their home is better in so many ways then those others and surly will sell for more. This may be true, but now armed with my new found view of my sellers as buyers I can see more success by facilitating their view from the buyer perspective.

I like this new approach, rather than telling them about similar comparable homes that have sold, I am going to ask them to tell me about the homes they would have bought if they were buyers. What was attractive about those homes? Details, Prices and More. Enabling the seller to think like a buyer will give them a lot more power in setting their own destiny and really understanding how and what it takes to sell their home.

I am reminded of the sellers I meet with, provide the proverbial "to do" list to get their home on the market and salable, but who do nothing. Then comes the Stager, who provides a more structured approach of prep and sell and they still do nothing. Clearly, the new set of buyer eyes will go a long way with questions like what they have seen and would have made an offer on. Was it move-in ready or did it need to have the wallpaper taken down, new carpets installed, the yard cleaned up and more? Would they make an offer on this home? Why not? Stepping into the Buyers mindset, will put them a step ahead.

Looking at my sellers as buyers really does put everything in a whole new light. Some of my buyers are more motivated than others and some are content with the casual search. If you want to be a buyer, but have to sell first, call me and I can help you view the market with your buyer eyes to get your home sold. There are countless opportunities in the Portland Marketplace and with a skilled adviser you will reach your goal to buy/sell a home.

I also have a nifty little search application you can download to your cell phone by texting pdxrelo to 87778. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I found this blog informative as I have interest in real estate and I bookmarked this link. Thank you for good job!

    Click here for : W South Beach Residences

    ReplyDelete